Sunday, February 04, 2007

Today's Useful But Confusing Words

Giving thought to something that seems so meaningless.

Today's words are Homonym, Homophone and Homograph.

Homonym: One of two or more words spelled and pronounced alike but different in meaning (as cleave meaning "to cut" and cleave meaning "to adhere" (coincidentally, also antonyms!)

Homophone: One of two or more words pronounced alike but different in meaning or spelling (as the words to, too, and two)


Homograph: Two or more words spelled alike but different in meaning or pronunciation (as the bow of a ship, a bow and arrow)


Those poor school kids. It seems to me that it is hard enough to figure out what to say at times. After I do, then I need to figure out how and what word or words to use. Believe me at times this can drive you into a frenzy.

I thought I would post this list I found so that you may find the humor in it also. My only conclusion to this list is say what your thinking. Don't worry everyone else will let you know how to say it and write it.

http://www.cooper.com/alan/homonym_list.html

I never new there were so many and it makes me wonder how many of them I have misused or spelled or confused for the other.


1 Comments:

Blogger David Amulet said...

I"m sure if you bring up any of these in a classroom today, the kids just giggle and say "homo!"

-- david

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home