Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Suprised To Read


I opened up the paper a couple of days ago and was suprised to see what I was reading. It seems a childhood friend is a suspect in a murder case. I really don't know where I stand on this. I knew Chris when we were young growing up. I went to the same church as his family did. I will have to follow the news coverage and see what comes out of it all. I can't say that I can see him doing this but then again sometimes it is the ones you would least expect.

This was taken from the Mason City Globe Gazette:

MASON CITY — A 32-year-old Mason City man has been charged with first-degree murder in the Jan. 13 death of 2-year-old Riley Prazak.Christopher Jon McCoy was also charged Friday with child endangerment resulting in injury, according to the Mason City Police Department.Lt. Ron Vande Weerd of the Mason City Police Department said the boy died Jan. 13 from a traumatic closed-head injury as the result of a probable assault.Riley was the son of Mindy Prazak of Mason City.McCoy was listed as a special friend of the family in the child’s Globe Gazette obituary.Vande Weerd said McCoy lived in the same house as Prazak and was in a relationship with the boy’s mother.According to court records, McCoy made a 911 call on Jan. 10 from 630 1/2 S. Connecticut Ave., reporting that a 2-year-old boy had fallen out of bed and was unresponsive. Several emergency personnel, including Mason City police officers, responded.The child was taken to Mercy Medical Center-North Iowa by the Mason City Fire Department Ambulance and then was transported to St. Marys Hospital in Rochester, Minn. The boy died on Jan. 13.Physicians at St. Marys Hospital, whose statements were included in an affidavit filed in Cerro Gordo County Court, said, “The closed head injuries to Riley Prazak would have resulted in him becoming incapacitated and unresponsive within one to two minutes of the injury.”McCoy was arrested by the Mason City Police Department at just after 10 a.m. Friday and is being held in the Cerro Gordo County Jail on a $183,500 cash only bond. His next court appearance, which will be a preliminary hearing, is scheduled for Friday, Feb. 3.First-degree murder is a Class A felony punishable by life in prison. The child endangerment charge is a Class B felony punishable by up to 50 years in prison.The Iowa Department of of Human Services assisted in the investigation.

For little Riley's sake I hope that the truth is found. All my sympathy goes out to his family and friends.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

What a terrible thing! That poor little boy. If that man did kill him, he deserves punishment. I don't have any sympathy for people who harm children.
I hope the truth is found out.

5:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That is so crazy, Chris doesnt seem like the type to do something like this!

2:36 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Well, I hope your friend is innocent. That would be horrible if he did this.

12:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know my Dad did nothing wrong, he loved Riley like his own son, he was like another brother to me. My dad is a nice person and was sad to hear that i can't see him for a long time. Dad I know that you did not do it and I still love you.
Munch!

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home